Why Choosing Yourself Feels Uncomfortable at First — And Why You Should Keep Goin

You finally said YES to yourself.

You decided to make yourself a priority.

You set a boundary.

You said no to something that no longer felt right.

You made a decision based on what you needed instead of what everyone else expected from you.

And then something unexpected happened...

Instead of immediately feeling free, you felt uncomfortable.

Maybe even guilty.

And suddenly you started wondering:

“Am I doing the right thing?”

If you've ever experienced this, I want you to know that discomfort doesn't necessarily mean you're making the wrong decision.

Sometimes it means you're finally doing something differently.


Many of us spend years becoming who we think we need to be for everyone else.

We become the dependable one.

The strong one.

The person who says yes.

The person who helps.

The person who keeps everything together.

And somewhere along the way, we can lose connection with a very important question:

What do I need?


When you haven't asked yourself that question in a long time, choosing yourself can feel strange.

You might feel guilty for saying no.

You might worry about disappointing someone.

You might question whether you're being selfish.

You may even feel tempted to go back to your old ways simply because they feel familiar.

I've experienced this myself.

There have been times in my life when I knew something needed to change, yet making that change felt uncomfortable.

Not because it was wrong.

Because it was new.

And I've learned something important:

Familiarity and alignment are not the same thing.

Just because something feels familiar doesn't mean it's good for you.


Here's another part of personal growth we don't talk about enough.

When you change, the people around you experience that change too.

When you begin setting boundaries, someone who benefited from you having none may not like it.

When you start protecting your time, someone may call you unavailable.

When you start speaking up for yourself, someone may think you've changed.

And they're right.

You have changed.


But change isn't something you need to apologize for.

You're learning.

You're becoming more self-aware.

You're discovering what you want and what you no longer want.

You're learning to respect your energy.

You're becoming more intentional about the people, situations, and opportunities you allow into your life.

That's growth.


The first few times you choose yourself, it may feel uncomfortable.

But something begins to happen when you continue.

You start trusting yourself.

You realize the world doesn't fall apart when you say no.

You discover that healthy relationships can survive healthy boundaries.

You become less dependent on other people's approval.

And slowly, that uncomfortable feeling begins turning into something else:

Confidence.


Not the loud kind of confidence.

The quiet kind.

The confidence that comes from knowing:

"I know who I am.

I know what I need.

And I'm willing to honour it."

That kind of confidence can change your life.


Ask Yourself This

If you're struggling with choosing yourself right now, ask:

Am I making this decision because it's truly right for me, or because I'm afraid of disappointing someone else?

Then ask:

If I wasn't worried about anyone else's opinion, what would I choose?

Your answer may tell you more than you expect.

Sometimes we already know what we need.

We're simply waiting for permission to choose it.

But here's something I've had to learn myself:

You don't need permission to create a life that feels right for you.


Growth Requires Practice

Choosing yourself isn't one big decision you make once.

It's a practice.

It's choosing yourself again tomorrow.

And next week.

And when an old pattern tries to return.

Some days you'll do it beautifully.

Other days you'll question yourself.

That's okay.

Personal growth isn't about perfection.

It's about becoming aware enough to recognize when you're abandoning yourself—and having the courage to come back.

Every time you do, you're strengthening the relationship you have with yourself.

And that relationship influences every other area of your life.


*** You Don't Have to Figure This Out Alone

This is exactly the kind of work I support people through in Elevare Experience Coaching.

I created Elevare for people who know they want something more from their lives but may need support uncovering exactly what that more looks like.

We work around three important areas:

Clarity. Confidence. Purpose.

We explore what's keeping you stuck.

We identify limiting beliefs and patterns.

We work on boundaries, self-trust, mindset, goals, and intentional action.

And most importantly, we create space for you to reconnect with you.


My coaching comes from professional tools and years of personal development, but it also comes from lived experience.

I've had to make difficult decisions.

I've had to start again.

I've had to learn to trust myself.

I've had to say no.

And I've had to learn how to say YES to myself without feeling guilty for it.

Those experiences influence the way I coach because I understand that change isn't always as simple as saying, “Just do it.”

Sometimes you need someone beside you while you figure out what your next step actually is.


Your Invitation to Elevare

If you've been reading my blogs and thinking:

“I know I need to make some changes, but I don't know where to start...”

Start with a conversation.

You don't need to have your life figured out before reaching out.

That's exactly what coaching can help you explore.

Elevare Experience Coaching is designed to help you move toward greater clarity, confidence, and purpose while creating a life that feels more aligned with who you truly are.

If you're ready to stop putting yourself at the bottom of your own list, I'd love to support you.

📩 Email: samanthacervino@gmail.com

📲 Instagram: @elevarebysamantha

Reach out and tell me a little about where you are right now and what you'd like to change.

Your first YES was choosing yourself.

Your next YES might be allowing someone to support you while you do it.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

🌌 Portal 999: Stepping Into Renewal After the Eclipse

When Patience Is Inspired Action

Embodied Wisdom: Listening to the Body’s Yes and No