The Voice of Resistance: Why Part of You Wants Change and Another Part Is Afraid of It

Have you ever wanted something to change in your life—and then found yourself doing everything possible to avoid actually changing it?

You tell yourself you want a new career, but you never take the first step.

You know a chapter of your life is ending, but you keep holding tightly to what is familiar.

You dream about starting something new, moving somewhere different, rebuilding your life after a separation, or finally doing something for yourself—but the moment you consider taking action, another voice appears.

What if I make the wrong decision?

What if I fail?

What if I'm not ready?

What if I regret it?

Maybe I should just wait.

One part of you wants change.

Another part of you wants everything to remain exactly as it is.

That inner conflict can be frustrating, but it doesn't necessarily mean you're indecisive or that you don't want change badly enough.

You may simply be experiencing resistance.

And resistance often becomes loudest when we're standing close to meaningful growth.

Why Do We Resist the Changes We Say We Want?

We tend to think that if we truly wanted something, we would automatically feel excited about pursuing it.

But human beings are complicated.

We can deeply desire something new while simultaneously being afraid of everything that comes with it.

Because even when our current circumstances aren't making us happy, they are familiar.

And familiar can feel safe.

You know how to be the person you are today.

You know your routines.

You know your responsibilities.

You know what other people expect from you.

You know how your current life works—even if part of you has outgrown it.

Change asks you to enter territory where those answers aren't guaranteed.

And that's where resistance often appears.

Resistance Has a Voice

Resistance doesn't always sound like fear.

Sometimes it's much more convincing than that.

It sounds like:

I'll do it when I have more time.

I need to think about it a little longer.

I'm probably too old to start again.

Maybe I should be grateful for what I have.

What will people think?

I don't have enough experience.

I need to feel more confident first.

I'll start when I'm ready.

And one of the most powerful:

“Maybe now just isn't the right time.”

Sometimes that may genuinely be true.

But sometimes “not now” is fear wearing a very convincing disguise.

I Have Heard That Voice Too

When I left the security of a traditional 9–5 career and stepped into coaching, I genuinely believed in what I wanted to create.

I wanted meaningful work.

I wanted to use what I had learned through years of personal development and my own life experiences to help other people create change in theirs.

I was excited.

But I was also afraid.

I thought that because I had made the decision, confidence would simply follow.

It didn't.

Building my coaching practice took much longer than I initially imagined.

Clients didn't suddenly come running through the door because I had decided to become a coach.

I had to build credibility.

I had to become visible.

I had to talk about what I did.

I had to keep showing up when the results weren't immediate.

And there were plenty of moments when resistance had something to say.

Maybe this isn't going to work.

Maybe I made the wrong decision.

Maybe I should have stayed where life was predictable.

There were ups and downs, periods of uncertainty and moments when I questioned the path I had chosen.

And during those seasons, I leaned heavily on my faith.

I kept reminding myself why I had begun.

More importantly, I began to understand that feeling afraid didn't automatically mean I was on the wrong path.

I could be afraid and still move forward.

That lesson has stayed with me.

What Is Your Resistance Trying to Protect?

I've learned not to automatically fight resistance.

Instead, I become curious about it.

Because underneath resistance there is often something worth understanding.

Maybe you're afraid of failing.

Maybe you're afraid of succeeding and discovering that your life will have to change even more.

Maybe you're afraid of disappointing someone.

Maybe you're afraid of being alone.

Maybe you're afraid of losing financial security.

Maybe you're afraid of being judged.

Or perhaps you're afraid that if you try and it doesn't work, you'll have to face the painful thought:

Maybe I wasn't capable after all.

These fears don't make you incapable of change.

But they do deserve to be acknowledged.

Because what we don't examine can quietly control our decisions.

Sometimes We Are More Afraid of Who We Might Become

There is another side of resistance we don't talk about enough.

Sometimes we aren't only afraid of losing the life we know.

We're afraid of meeting the version of ourselves that exists on the other side of change.

What happens if you become more confident?

What happens if you begin setting boundaries?

What happens if you stop saying yes when you mean no?

What happens if you discover what you really want?

What happens if you no longer need everyone's approval?

What happens if you finally choose yourself?

Growth can change relationships.

It can change priorities.

It can change what you're willing to tolerate.

And it can change the way you see yourself.

That's why personal growth can feel both exciting and deeply uncomfortable.

You Don't Need to Eliminate Fear Before You Move

One of the biggest misconceptions about confidence is that confident people aren't afraid.

They are.

Confidence isn't the absence of uncertainty.

Often, confidence is built by showing yourself that you can take action while uncertainty is present.

Think about the transitions you've already survived.

There were probably moments in your life when you didn't know how things would work out.

And yet, somehow, you found your way through them.

You learned.

You adjusted.

You became stronger.

You figured things out as you went.

Perhaps you've already collected far more evidence of your resilience than you give yourself credit for.

Try Having a Conversation With Your Resistance

The next time that voice appears, rather than immediately believing it—or trying to silence it—pause.

Ask yourself:

What am I actually afraid of?

Then go deeper.

What do I believe might happen if I make this change?

And then:

Is that belief true, or is it a story I've been carrying for years?

Finally, ask yourself one of my favorite questions:

What might happen if I don't change anything?

We spend so much time calculating the risk of changing that we rarely calculate the cost of remaining exactly where we are.

Another year.

Another five years.

Another decade.

That question can create a very different kind of clarity.

Resistance Is Information, Not Instruction

This distinction changed the way I think about fear.

Resistance can give you information.

It can show you where you feel vulnerable.

It can reveal a limiting belief.

It can expose an old wound.

It can highlight where you need support, preparation, stronger boundaries, more knowledge, or greater self-trust.

Listen to it.

But you don't have to automatically obey it.

Your fear gets to have a voice.

It doesn't have to have the final vote.

This Is Part of Why I Created the Elevare Experience

Many women don't arrive at a life transition lacking ability.

They arrive carrying beliefs that make them question their ability.

I'm too old.

It's too late.

I don't know where to begin.

I've been out of the workforce too long.

I've spent my entire life taking care of other people.

I don't know who I am anymore.

What if I make another mistake?

This is part of the reason I created my 6-Week Elevare Experience.

It isn't about telling you what your next chapter should look like.

It's about creating the space and structure to help you discover that for yourself.

During our work together, we explore clarity, goals, limiting beliefs, confidence, intentional action, resilience, boundaries and awareness.

Because sometimes the obstacle between where you are and where you want to be isn't a lack of opportunity.

It's a belief you've never stopped long enough to question.

And once you become aware of that belief, you can begin choosing differently.

Maybe Fear Isn't Telling You to Stop

If you're standing on the edge of a transition right now, I want you to consider something.

Maybe the fact that you're afraid doesn't mean you shouldn't move forward.

Maybe it means what you're considering matters to you.

Maybe you're leaving behind an identity you've carried for decades.

Maybe you're entering unfamiliar territory.

Maybe you're being asked to trust yourself in a way you haven't had to before.

Of course that can feel uncomfortable.

But discomfort and danger are not always the same thing.

Sometimes discomfort simply means:

I'm growing beyond what is familiar.

So the next time the voice of resistance becomes loud, don't immediately run from it.

Listen.

Ask questions.

Become curious.

And then ask yourself:

Is this voice protecting me from something genuinely wrong for me—or is it protecting me from becoming someone I've never had the courage to become before?

You may not know the answer immediately.

That's okay.

Awareness comes first.

Clarity follows.

Confidence grows through action.

And perhaps the voice telling you to stay exactly where you are isn't the only voice worth listening to.

There may be another, quieter voice underneath it saying:

I'm ready for something more.

Samantha Cervino
Life & Personal Growth Coach
Published Wellbeing Author
Founder, Elevare Experience Coaching




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Rest: How Pausing Helps You Recharge and Do More with Ease

Embodied Wisdom: Listening to the Body’s Yes and No

๐ŸŒŒ Portal 999: Stepping Into Renewal After the Eclipse