What If the Life You Want Requires a Different Version of You?

 We often think about the life we want in terms of what we hope to receive.

A new career.

A loving relationship.

Greater financial freedom.

A meaningful purpose.

More confidence.

A fresh start.

But there is another question we don’t always ask:

Who do I need to become to create, receive, and sustain the life I say I want?

That question can feel uncomfortable because it shifts our attention away from what we want life to give us—and toward what may need to change within us.

Wanting More Isn’t Always Enough

You can genuinely want something different and still hold on to the habits, beliefs, and patterns that belong to your old life.

You may want a healthier relationship but continue accepting behavior that hurts you.

You may want a new career but keep telling yourself you’re too old or unqualified.

You may want greater confidence but avoid every situation that asks you to become visible.

You may want peace but continue saying yes to everyone because you’re afraid of disappointing them.

You may want a new beginning while still waiting for someone else to give you permission.

This doesn’t mean you don’t want change badly enough.

It means part of you may still be emotionally attached to the version of yourself who learned how to survive your current life.

The Woman You Have Been Brought You This Far

Before judging your old patterns, remember that many of them developed for a reason.

Perhaps being agreeable helped you feel accepted.

Remaining quiet may have protected you from criticism.

Avoiding risk may have given you a sense of security.

Taking care of everyone else may have made you feel valuable and needed.

Staying in familiar circumstances may have felt safer than facing uncertainty.

These patterns aren’t evidence that something is wrong with you.

They may have helped you through a previous chapter.

But what protects us in one season can limit us in another.

At some point, we have to ask:

Is this way of thinking and living still supporting the woman I want to become?

I Had to Become Someone New Too

When I left the security of a traditional 9–5 career and began building my coaching practice, I knew I wanted work that felt meaningful and aligned with my purpose.

But wanting that life wasn’t enough.

I had to become more visible, even when being seen felt uncomfortable.

I had to speak about my work before I felt completely confident.

I had to continue when clients didn’t appear as quickly as I had imagined.

I had to invest in my own growth, build credibility, learn from setbacks, and trust my path during periods when the results weren’t yet visible.

There were moments when I questioned myself.

There were ups and downs. There were times when returning to something familiar would have felt easier.

But the life I wanted required more than a professional change.

It required an identity change.

I had to become the woman who could keep showing up without immediate validation.

The woman who could trust her purpose before other people fully understood it.

The woman who could be afraid and still take the next step.

I didn’t become that woman overnight.

I became her through many small decisions.

Growth Can Feel Like Losing Part of Yourself

We often imagine personal growth as something inspiring and beautiful.

Sometimes it is.

But growth can also feel like loss.

You may lose your need to be understood by everyone.

You may lose your willingness to tolerate certain behavior.

You may lose relationships that only worked when you stayed small.

You may lose habits that once made you feel safe.

You may lose the identity of being the person who always says yes, fixes everything, or puts herself last.

That can feel unsettling.

Even when an old version of you is no longer serving you, she is still familiar. You know how to be her.

The woman you’re becoming may feel unfamiliar at first.

She may set boundaries.

Speak honestly.

Make different choices.

Ask for support.

Take herself seriously.

Choose peace over approval.

Trust her own voice.

The transition between those two versions of yourself can feel lonely—but it can also be where your most meaningful transformation begins.

You Don’t Need to Reject Who You Were

Becoming a different version of yourself doesn’t mean criticizing or abandoning the woman you have been.

She carried you through difficult experiences.

She made the best choices she could with the awareness, confidence, and circumstances she had at the time.

You don’t need to feel ashamed of her.

You can thank her.

And then you can lovingly decide that she doesn’t have to lead this next chapter.

Your past self deserves compassion.

Your future self needs courage.

What Does Your Next Version Look Like?

Imagine the woman living the life you say you want.

How does she speak to herself when things don’t go according to plan?

What does she no longer tolerate?

What boundaries does she protect?

What choices does she make with her time?

What does she believe about her age, abilities, and future?

How does she respond when fear appears?

What does she do consistently—even when she doesn’t feel motivated?

This isn’t about creating a false personality or pretending to be someone you’re not.

It’s about bringing forward qualities that may already exist within you but haven’t been given enough space.

Courage.

Self-respect.

Discipline.

Confidence.

Honesty.

Resilience.

Faith.

The ability to choose yourself.

Become Her Through Small Decisions

You don’t wake up one morning as a completely transformed woman.

You become her one decision at a time.

Each time you say no when something isn’t right for you, you strengthen her.

Each time you speak to yourself with compassion instead of criticism, you strengthen her.

Each time you take action before feeling completely ready, you strengthen her.

Each time you keep a promise to yourself, you strengthen her.

Each time you choose what aligns with your values instead of what earns approval, you strengthen her.

Transformation isn’t usually one dramatic moment.

It’s the result of small, consistent choices that gradually change the way you see yourself.

This Is Part of the Elevare Experience

I created my 6-Week Elevare Experience for women who know they’re ready for a new chapter but also understand that lasting change begins within.

Together, we explore who you have been, who you’re becoming, and what beliefs or patterns may be keeping you connected to a life you’ve outgrown.

We work on clarity, confidence, meaningful goals, boundaries, emotional resilience, and intentional action.

This isn’t about telling you to become someone else.

It’s about helping you reconnect with the strongest, clearest, and most authentic version of yourself—the woman who may already be there, waiting for permission to step forward.

If you’re ready to stop repeating an old chapter and begin becoming the woman your next chapter requires, DM me to learn more about the 6-Week Elevare Experience.

A Question for You

Think about the life you want to create.

Then ask yourself:

What belief, habit, or pattern can’t come with me into that life?

And:

What is one choice the woman I’m becoming would make today?

You don’t need to transform everything at once.

Choose one small action.

One honest conversation.

One boundary.

One promise to yourself.

One step.

Because the life you want may require a different version of you.

Not a perfect version.

A braver, more intentional, and more self-trusting version.

And every time you choose in alignment with her, you’re already becoming her.

— Samantha Cervino
Life & Personal Growth Coach
Published Wellbeing Author
Founder, Elevare Experience Coaching




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Recenter Yourself: The Complete Guide to Balance, Clarity, and Motivation for Busy Professionals

Embodied Wisdom: Listening to the Body’s Yes and No

When the Universe Says ‘Not Yet’: Why Delays Are Part of Your Alignment