When You Know Something Has to Change, but You Don’t Know What
Sometimes change begins long before you know what the change is.
Nothing may look obviously wrong from the outside. You may have a job, a home, relationships, responsibilities, and a routine that works.
Yet somewhere inside, a quiet voice keeps saying:
This no longer feels right for me.
You may feel restless, disconnected, or unusually tired. Things that once motivated you no longer do. You know you cannot continue exactly as you are, but when you ask yourself what you want instead, the answer doesn’t come.
That uncertainty can make you question yourself.
But not knowing what comes next doesn’t mean you’re lost. It may mean you’re finally becoming aware that you have outgrown something.
The Pressure to Have an Answer
We often believe that recognizing a problem should come with a solution.
If you’re unhappy in your career, you should know what career you want instead.
If a relationship or role no longer fits, you should have a clear plan for your next chapter.
If you want more from life, you should be able to define exactly what “more” means.
But real transitions rarely work that way.
Awareness often arrives first. Clarity develops later—through reflection, honest conversations, new experiences, and small steps.
You don’t need to force an answer simply because uncertainty feels uncomfortable.
I Have Lived Through That Uncertainty Too
When I began changing direction professionally and building my coaching practice, I knew I wanted something more meaningful and aligned with the woman I was becoming.
What I didn’t have was a perfect map.
There were moments when I questioned my decisions because progress took longer than I expected. Clients didn’t simply appear. I had to build credibility, become more visible, and continue showing up through uncertainty.
Returning to Uruguay after years of living abroad brought another kind of transition. I had to create new routines, reconnect with home, and decide what I wanted this chapter of my life to become.
In both experiences, clarity didn’t arrive all at once.
It came through taking the next honest step, learning from what happened, and trusting that I didn’t need to understand the entire journey before beginning it.
Start With What You Know
If you don’t know what you want, begin with what you already know.
Ask yourself:
What feels heavy, draining, or no longer aligned?
What part of my life am I maintaining mainly because it’s familiar?
When do I feel most like myself?
What do I wish I had more time, energy, or courage to explore?
What would I change if I didn’t need to explain my choice to anyone?
These questions may not produce an immediate life plan.
They’re meant to help you hear yourself again.
Clarity Often Comes Through Movement
Waiting for complete certainty can keep you in the same place for years.
Instead, choose one small action that gives you more information.
Research a course.
Update your resume.
Have the conversation you’ve been postponing.
Return to an interest you abandoned.
Spend time exploring a new possibility.
Write down what you would want if fear wasn’t making the decision.
A small step doesn’t lock you into a permanent choice. It simply helps you discover what feels right, what doesn’t, and what deserves more of your attention.
You don’t have to see the entire path. You only need enough clarity for the next step.
Give Yourself Permission to Be in the In-Between
The space between an old chapter and a new one can feel unproductive, but important inner work happens there.
You’re noticing.
Questioning.
Reassessing your values.
Separating your true desires from other people’s expectations.
This isn’t wasted time. It’s part of becoming more intentional about what comes next.
Be gentle with yourself in this space.
You’re not behind. You’re gathering the awareness you need to make a decision that reflects who you are now—not only who you have been.
This Is Why I Created the Elevare Experience
I created my 6-Week Elevare Experience for women navigating this exact kind of transition.
Women who know something needs to change but aren’t yet sure what their next chapter should look like.
You may be considering a career change, beginning again after a separation, adjusting to an empty nest, rebuilding your life in another country, or simply feeling that the life you once wanted no longer fits the woman you are today.
Elevare gives you the space and support to understand where you are, identify the beliefs and patterns that may be keeping you stuck, clarify what you truly want, rebuild confidence, and begin taking intentional steps forward.
You don’t need to arrive with all the answers.
That’s part of the work we do together.
If you’re ready to move from uncertainty toward greater clarity, awareness, and confidence, DM me to learn more about the 6-Week Elevare Experience.
If you stopped demanding that you know the whole plan today, what is one small truth you’re already ready to acknowledge?
Your answer may not reveal the entire road.
But it may show you where to place your next step.
You’re not failing because you don’t know what comes next. You may simply be at the beginning of discovering it.
— Samantha Cervino
Life & Personal Growth Coach
Published Wellbeing Author
Founder, Elevare Experience Coaching

Comments
Post a Comment