Who Are You When the Roles That Defined You Begin to Change?

 For years, you may have known exactly who you were.

A mother.

A wife or partner.

A professional.

A caregiver.

The person everyone could depend on.

Your days were filled with responsibilities, schedules, people who needed you, and things that had to get done.

And then life changes.

The children grow up.

A relationship ends.

You leave a career you've had for years.

You move to another country.

You retire, change direction, or simply realize that the person you've been for the last twenty years isn't quite the person you are today.

And suddenly a surprisingly difficult question appears:

Who am I now?

When a Role Becomes Part of Your Identity

There is nothing wrong with finding meaning in the roles we play.

Motherhood, relationships, careers, family and service to others can become some of the most meaningful parts of our lives.

But sometimes we become so busy fulfilling those roles that we stop asking ourselves what we want.

Then, when one of those roles changes, it can feel as though part of our identity disappears with it.

An empty nester may wonder:

If my children don't need me in the same way anymore, where do I put all of this energy and love?

A woman leaving a long-term relationship may wonder:

Who am I without “us”?

Someone changing careers may think:

If I'm no longer doing what I've always done, what am I good at now?

And an expat beginning again somewhere new may discover that leaving behind familiar people, places and routines also means rebuilding part of her identity.

These aren't small questions.

But they can become powerful ones.

I Have Had to Ask Myself This Question Too

There have been several chapters in my own life when I've had to redefine who I was.

I've moved between countries. I've changed professional direction. I've watched important relationships and roles evolve. I've had to create new routines, new communities and new versions of what “home” meant to me.

And through those experiences, I've learned something:

We don't lose ourselves when our roles change. We get an opportunity to discover parts of ourselves that may have been waiting for our attention.

That doesn't mean transition is easy.

Sometimes there's grief attached to the person you used to be and the life you once had.

You can miss an old chapter and still be ready for a new one.

Both can be true.

Maybe the Question Isn't “Who Was I?”

During a transition, it's natural to want to return to the version of yourself that felt certain.

But perhaps this chapter isn't asking you to go backwards.

Perhaps it's asking you to become curious about who you are now.

What excites you today?

What matters to you now that didn't matter ten years ago?

What have you always wanted to try?

What parts of yourself have you neglected?

What are you no longer willing to accept?

And here's an important one:

If nobody needed anything from you for a moment, what would you want for yourself?

Sometimes we don't know the answer because nobody has asked us that question in years.

Including ourselves.

Your Next Chapter Doesn't Erase the Previous One

Starting something new doesn't diminish what came before it.

You don't stop being a mother because your children have grown.

You don't lose everything you learned because you leave a career.

A relationship ending doesn't erase the woman you became while living through it.

Moving somewhere new doesn't erase the life you built somewhere else.

You carry those experiences with you.

You're not starting from zero. You're starting from experience.

And that experience can become the foundation for what comes next.

This Is Where Clarity Begins

This is one of the reasons I created my 6-Week Elevare Experience.

I wanted to create a space for women who find themselves asking:

What now?

Not because they have failed.

Not because something is wrong with them.

But because life has changed—and perhaps they have changed too.

Through Elevare, we explore clarity, beliefs, confidence, goals, resilience, boundaries and intentional action.

But before deciding where you're going, sometimes you need the opportunity to reconnect with who you are now.

Not only the mother.

Not only the partner.

Not only the professional.

Not only the person everyone else depends on.

You.

A Question to Sit With

Take away the titles for a moment.

Take away your age.

Your career.

Your relationship status.

Your responsibilities.

And ask yourself:

Who am I when I'm not describing myself by what I do for everyone else?

And then ask:

Who would I like to become in this next chapter?

You don't need to have the answer today.

Maybe your work right now is simply giving yourself permission to ask the question.

Because when the roles that once defined you begin to change, it doesn't mean you're losing your identity.

It may be your opportunity to create one that feels even more like you.

Samantha Cervino
Life & Personal Growth Coach
Published Wellbeing Author
Founder, Elevare Experience Coaching

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Rest: How Pausing Helps You Recharge and Do More with Ease

Embodied Wisdom: Listening to the Body’s Yes and No

๐ŸŒŒ Portal 999: Stepping Into Renewal After the Eclipse