You’re Not Lost — You’re Between Who You Were and Who You’re Becoming

 

You’re Not Lost — You’re Between Who You Were and Who You’re Becoming

“I don’t know who I am anymore.”

I wonder how many women have quietly said those words to themselves.


Maybe you haven't said them out loud.

Maybe instead you've said:

I don't know what I want anymore.

I feel stuck.

I should be happy, but something is missing.

I don't know what I'm supposed to do next.

I just don't feel like myself.

We often describe these feelings as being lost.

But what if you're not lost?

What if you're simply standing between who you were and who you're becoming?

The In-Between Can Be an Uncomfortable Place

There are chapters in life when our identity feels very clear.

We know our roles. We know our responsibilities. We know where we're going—or at least we think we do.

And then something changes.

Your children grow up and begin building lives of their own.

A marriage or relationship ends.

A career that once gave you purpose no longer fulfills you.

You move to another country and suddenly the people, routines, places and familiarity that helped define your life are gone.

You experience burnout and realize you cannot continue living at the same pace.

Or perhaps there isn't one defining event.

You've simply changed.

And suddenly, the woman you used to be doesn't quite fit anymore.

But the woman you're becoming hasn't fully emerged yet.

That's the in-between.

And it can feel a lot like being lost.

I Know Something About Starting Again

I've had seasons in my own life when I've had to begin again.

I've lived in different countries. I've changed professional direction. I've had to rebuild parts of my life and redefine what I wanted my future to look like.

And I've discovered something important along the way:

Beginning again doesn't always feel exciting.

Sometimes it feels lonely.

Sometimes it feels uncertain.

Sometimes you look around and wonder how you arrived at this particular point in your life.

And sometimes you wish someone could simply hand you a map and say, “Here. This is where you go next.”

I've certainly wished for that map.

But some of the most important answers in my life didn't come from someone else telling me what to do.

They came from becoming quiet enough—and honest enough—to listen to myself.

We Become Attached to Our Identities

For years, perhaps you've identified yourself through your roles.

Mother. Wife. Partner. Professional. Caregiver. Businesswoman. Daughter. Teacher. Provider.

There is nothing wrong with those identities.

But sometimes we become so accustomed to answering the question “Who am I?” with what we do for other people that we forget to ask who we are underneath those roles.

Then life changes.

The children leave home.

The relationship ends.

The job changes.

You retire.

You move.

The people who once depended on you don't need you in quite the same way.

And suddenly there is space.

At first, that space can feel like emptiness.

But perhaps it isn't empty at all.

Perhaps it's an invitation.

Who Are You Now?

This is where curiosity becomes more powerful than judgment.

Instead of asking:

“What's wrong with me?”

Try asking:

“What is changing within me?”

Instead of:

“Why can't I be satisfied?”

Ask:

“What am I longing for?”

Instead of:

“Why don't I know what I want?”

Try:

“When was the last time I gave myself permission to really consider what I want?”

And instead of:

“Who am I anymore?”

Ask:

“Who am I becoming?”

Those questions create a very different conversation with yourself.

You Don't Have to Become Who You Used to Be

I think this is something many women need to hear.

When we're going through a difficult transition, we often say:

“I just want to feel like myself again.”

I understand that feeling.

But what if the goal isn't to return to who you were?

You've experienced too much.

You've learned too much.

You've grown.

You've survived things you once wondered whether you could handle.

You've changed your mind about things.

Your priorities may be different.

Your dreams may be different.

You are different.

Perhaps this chapter isn't asking you to find your way back to your old self.

Perhaps it's asking you to meet your new self.

Clarity Begins With Awareness

When women come to coaching during a transition, they often believe they need to arrive knowing exactly what they want.

You don't.

Sometimes all you know is:

I don't want to continue feeling this way.

That's enough of a place to begin.

Before clarity comes awareness.

You begin noticing what energizes you.

What drains you.

What you're tolerating.

What you're afraid of.

What you miss.

What you secretly want.

What beliefs you've carried for years that may no longer belong in the life you're creating.

And perhaps most importantly, you begin separating what you truly want from what you've been taught you should want.

That awareness can become the beginning of a completely different life.

This Is the Woman I Created Elevare For

My 6-Week Elevare Experience wasn't created only for the woman who already knows exactly where she's going.

In many ways, I created it for the woman who doesn't.

The woman standing at a crossroads.

The woman going through a career change.

The woman beginning again after separation.

The empty nester wondering what belongs to her now.

The woman adapting to life in another country.

The woman who wants something different but hasn't yet found the words to describe it.

The woman who has spent years taking care of everyone else and realizes she hasn't asked herself what she wants in a very long time.

Over six weeks, we begin uncovering those answers together.

We work on clarity and goals, limiting beliefs, confidence, intentional action, resilience, boundaries and integration.

But underneath all of that is something even more important:

awareness.

Because when you begin understanding yourself differently, you can begin making decisions differently.

And when you make different decisions, your life can begin moving in a different direction.

You Don't Need to See the Entire Road

One of the greatest traps during a life transition is believing we can't move until we know exactly where we're going.

But think about how many meaningful things in your life began without knowing exactly how they would turn out.

You don't need to see five years from now.

You don't need to have the entire plan.

You don't even need to know exactly who you're becoming yet.

You simply need enough courage to become curious about her.

So today, I want to leave you with three questions:

What part of my old life or identity am I having difficulty letting go of?

What part of me is asking for something different?

If I stopped trying to become who I used to be, who might I give myself permission to become next?

Write your answers somewhere private.

Don't edit them.

Don't judge them.

And don't immediately tell yourself why something isn't possible.

Just listen.

Because the voice you've been looking for may already be there.

And maybe you're not lost after all.

Maybe you're simply becoming.

Samantha Cervino
Life & Personal Growth Coach
Published Wellbeing Author
Founder, Elevare Experience Coaching




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Rest: How Pausing Helps You Recharge and Do More with Ease

Embodied Wisdom: Listening to the Body’s Yes and No

🌌 Portal 999: Stepping Into Renewal After the Eclipse